Outlook Offline over DirectAccess on Windows 10

Outlook Offline over DirectAccess on Windows 10You may encounter a scenario in which Outlook on Windows 10 reports that it is working offline while connected remotely via DirectAccess. The Network Connectivity Status Indicator (NCSI) shows DirectAccess is in a connected state and all other internal resources are accessible.

Outlook Offline over DirectAccess on Windows 10

This is caused by the default settings of the IP-HTTPS tunnel interface on the DirectAccess server not advertising a default route for connected DirectAccess clients. To resolve this issue, enable default route advertising for IP-HTTPS on each DirectAccess server in the enterprise by running the following PowerShell command.

Get-NetIPInterface | Where-Object {$_.InterfaceAlias -eq “IPHTTPSInterface”} | Set-NetIPInterface -AdvertiseDefaultRoute Enabled -PassThru

Outlook Offline over DirectAccess on Windows 10

In the past I’ve heard reports of this setting being overwritten after group policy refresh. Recent testing on Windows Server 2016 does not show this behavior, however. Please report any results you may have in the comments below. Thanks!

Leave a comment


  1. ioan

     /  November 28, 2017

    Hi Richard.
    The settings are overwritten only in one specific deployment scenario. This is happening on DA servers with only one network adapter.

  2. Bernhard

     /  January 15, 2018

    Hi Richard! We found out, that the settings are overwritten by a task called RaConfigTask (Microsoft\Windows\RemoteAccess). We wrote a powershell script, that is triggered by event-id 10018. This script contains only the following line: netsh int ipv6 set int xx advertisedefaultroute=enabled (xx is the index of the IPHTTPSInterface).

    • Yes, the RaConfigTask task essentially forces a reapplication of GPOs, which obviously overwrites the changes we make to the server directly. Glad you were able to come up with a workaround though!

  3. Windows 7 clients seem exempted of this issue.

  4. Anyway this enables also the connection of Skype for Business clients, together with Outlook. Thanks for sharing.

  5. Chris

     /  February 17, 2018

    Hi Richard
    we’ve the problem that MS Outlook will prompt the user for their credentials each time if the network connection was(shortly) lost(for example suspend mode, inactive user,…). I can click “save the credentials” but it will not work. So i closed the client and start it again. Any idea?
    Thanks Chris

    • That’s unusual and I’ve never encountered that scenario myself. To me it sounds like a Kerberos ticket is expiring, but I have no idea why momentarily losing network connectivity would cause that. Perhaps it is an authentication setting specific to Outlook that forces reauthentication?

  6. venkat

     /  February 27, 2018

    thank you for great article our problem solved but in 2012 R2 this setting overwritten by GPO

  7. Thank you. We have had a working DirectAccess deployment for over 5 years, but due to a security limitation had to implement forced tunnelling last week which broke Outlook – this worked a treat to resolve.

  8. Nick

     /  July 20, 2018

    Hi Richard,

    The fact that this setting gets wiped out with a gpupdate is caused because every time gpsvc runs an update, RaConfigTask also runs. This clears out the AdvertiseDefaultRoute.

    For 2012r2 this occurs and in 2016 this has been mitigated looks like as you mentioned.

    For 2012r2 you can go open event viewer > remoteaccess-remoteaccessserver > operational

    Find event ID 10018 and this is the complete event for RaConfigTask

    Right click – attach task to this event

    Start a program


    Start in location (choose any location you want to save your script to such as c:\scripts)

    Arguments – .\AdvertiseDefaultRoute.ps1

    Choose the check box to to open properties after this

    Check the following boxes:
    Run whether user is logged on or not
    Run with highest privileges

    Click ok

    Navigate to your directory you specified earlier
    Create a new text file and put this in there:

    Get-NetIPInterface | Where-Object {$_.InterfaceAlias -eq “IPHTTPSInterface”} | Set-NetIPInterface -AdvertiseDefaultRoute Enabled -PassThru -PolicyStore ActiveStore
    Get-NetIPInterface | Where-Object {$_.InterfaceAlias -eq “IPHTTPSInterface”} | Set-NetIPInterface -AdvertiseDefaultRoute Enabled -PassThru -PolicyStore PersistentStore
    Restart-Service iphlpsvc

    File > save-as . AdvertiseDefaultRoute.ps1

    Run gpupdate /force and then check your AdvertiseDefaultRoute status:
    Get-NetIPInterface | Where-Object {$_.InterfaceAlias -eq “IPHTTPSInterface”} | fl * | findstr “AdvertiseDefaultRoute”

    Hope this helps someone

    • Nick

       /  July 20, 2018

      Just to add as I see that someone else detailed this already.

      The reason I chose this way of doing it is because when using netsh and relying in the if index, I have found that sometimes this does not resolve the issue as the IPHTTPS if index can change.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: